Sunday, April 19, 2015

Poem #5


To My Dear and Loving Husband
Anne Bradstreet, 1612 - 1672
If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee;
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me ye women if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay;
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let’s so persever,
That when we live no more we may live ever.
      This is actually a pretty romantic poem from the viewpoint that I took. I pictured the speaker being a young woman who is talking to her suitor about what a possible future they could have together. Maybe the suitor has a few reservations about them being together, but the woman is trying to erase his worries and strengthen their bond. My favorite line in the poem was the first, “If ever two were one, then surely we.” This line makes the idea of soul mates have some support. It makes the idea of finding someone that completes you realistic. I have had this feeling at least twice in my life, which sort of contradicts the whole “one person made for you idea”. My grandmother has always said that love is hard because there are only a handful of people that God made who are perfect for us, but we have to search through all of the other millions before we find even one. Now wouldn’t it be complicated to have found more than one? How do you ever decide which is better for you or who you would rather love for the rest of your life? Do you ever stop loving one or continue loving both for your entire life? Will there always be what ifs? Anyway, this first line sums up the goals for most people who seek long lasting relationships. They wish to be a matching puzzle piece for someone. Personally, another fear I have is that I won’t be able to remain interested in someone for the rest of my life. That is probably just a fear that youth has, but I do want to fall so deeply in love with someone that, “My love is such that rivers cannot quench.”

1 comment:

  1. These are some great questions. And a very good close reading.

    ReplyDelete